Ricardo joined the firm in 1998 as a legal assistant and later became an associate in 2002. Over the years, he has honed his expertise in various legal domains, including corporate law, real estate, finance, insurance, foreign investment, and mergers and acquisitions.
Currently, Ricardo heads the Banking & Finance, Insurance and Reinsurance, Foreign Investment and Free Trade Zones practices at the firm. His contributions have earned recognition from esteemed directories like Chambers & Partners, ILFR, The Legal 500, and others. Furthermore, he has authored articles pertaining to Costa Rican law in these fields.
In 2005, Ricardo earned his LL.M. degree in International Business Transactions from Georgetown University Law Center. Subsequently, he worked as a foreign associate in the International Trade department at Thompson Hine LLP in Washington, D.C., USA.
Ricardo Cordero Baltodano
AREAS OF EXPERTISE:
- Providing legal counsel to both local and foreign companies investing and conducting business in Costa Rica.
- Assisting companies operating under the Free Trade Zone Regime in Costa Rica.
- Offering legal guidance in entity acquisitions, mergers, and dissolution processes.
- Structuring financing and formalizing loans for national and international creditors, with a focus on regulated industries and various types of credit.
- Supporting and advising on regular real estate transactions and complex real estate projects, including expertise in Condominium Law, Due Diligence processes, Maritime Zone Law, and daily operations within real estate developments.
- Legal counsel for insurance companies, reinsurers, and intermediaries operating under Costa Rican insurance laws.
– LL.M. from Georgetown University Law Center.
– Bachelor’s degree in Law from the University of Costa Rica with Honors.
– Completed the “Foundations of American Law” course at Georgetown University Law Center.
– Captain of the International Debate Competition Team, Philip C. Jessup.
– Various courses in Insurance, Financing and Banking Law, and Real Estate Law
– Costa Rican Bar Association.
– Costa Rican-American Chamber of Commerce (AMCHAM).
– British Chamber of Commerce in Costa Rica (BritCham).
– American Bar Association (ABA).
– Inter-American Bar Association.
SPECIALIZATION AN PRACTICE:
– Corporate Law.
– Mergers & Acquisitions.
– Banking Law & Financial Regulation.
– Real Estate Transactions & Property Rights.
– Foreign Investment.
– Insurance and Reinsurance.
– Notary Services.
Ricardo has received international recognition from entities such as Chambers & Partners in the fields of Banking and Finance, as well as Insurance; Who’s Who Legal; ILFR1000; and The Legal 500.
Co-Author of chapters for “The International Comparative Legal Guide To Lending & Secured Finance” and “Insurance & Reinsurance.”
English and Spanish
Calle la Ceiba, Edificio Terraforte, Piso 2, Escazú San José
(506) 2201-6640 EXT 305
Please contact us.